Without doubt the best pencil for a child to learn to write with is the Yoropen mini-pencil.
- The ‘Z’ neck design allows your child to see the letters much more clearly as they write, aiding letter formation, visual memory of the letter formation and improvement to their posture whilst writing. (Many children hold their heads at an angle when writing trying to see how, what and where they are writing which twists their backs and often leads to one eye becoming stronger than another due to the angle of the eyes when the head is held at such an angle. This can have longer term implications on their whole visual system)
- Dyslexic children in particular, will benefit greatly from the extra visual field these pencils give them as they get a better reinforcement of the letter formation as they write, boosting their visual memory.
- It is specifically designed for children aged between 3-8.
- The pencil is shorter than a standard pencil by almost 6cm reflecting the smaller size of children’s hands at this age. Imagine writing with a pencil 1 and a half times longer than the one you currently use? The shorter pencil can have immediate benefits to the quality of your child’s handwriting. It gives them far better control.
- The Yoropen provides a very comfortable tripod grip, encouraging the tripod grip from a very early age.
- The gap between the pencil tip on the Yoropen Mini-Pencil and the Yoropen Pencil for ages 8+ is also shorter keeping your child’s fingers at the perfect height above the paper. This is hugely important as often children will raise their wrists from the surface when they write leading to vastly reduced pencil control.
- Each pencil has 2B lead requiring less effort to write making the early years of writing much more pleasurable
- The extra field of vision provided by the ‘z’ neck helps your child to keep their writing on the line.
- The finger support system requires far less pressure to grip the pen reducing writing strain and allowing more focus on handwriting, spelling and content. The comfort grip neck on the pencil holds your grip firmly in place preventing your child’s hand from sliding down towards the nib.
- The tripod grip rotates to accommodate your child’s preferred writing position. Ideal for left and right handers.
- Yoropen provide a natural pen and pencil progression path onto the Yoropen HB pencil and the Yoropen Superior ballpoint pen range. Ideal from ages 6-8+ through to adult.
- It’s no wonder that the Yoropen is the number 1 choice for children with Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and any child with difficulties controlling a pencil.
- Affordable at a little over £2 per mini-pencil, is really long-lasting requiring future purchases year after year of a refill pack costing just 99p – cheaper than a good quality pencil.
- If you are reading this article it is because you take your child’s handwriting seriously. We also have a children’s ergonomic handwriting pack to help you find the perfect pencil to encourage the tripod grip from the earliest years.
Not suitable for children under 36 months due to small parts and risk of choking.
NB. If you can’t stretch to a Yoropen, I would advise you to cut down one of your children’s pencils by around 6cm and witness the effect. I have had children who refuse to pass the pencil back to me because it suits them so well after they have struggled for years with a standard pencil. If you do this and it works for you please ‘like’ the article on Facebook so that more parents and children will be able to come across it on a google search. Thanks