If your child presses too hard or too lightly with their pen and/or has poor proprioception or touch receptors then this will assist them in learning about pressure without you having to look over their shoulder.
- Rollerball pen with warning lamp that is clear to be seen in daylight
- Lamp indicates when too much pressure is being applied
- Suitable for left and right handers
- Ergonomically designed grip for comfortable use
- Refills are available if the child decides they want to continue with it as their regular pen
- Ink is erasable royal blue (requires eraser pen available in our shop). Black ink refills are also available.
- Ideal for beginners or people with fine motor skill challenges
How does it work?
When writing correctly the light should flicker on and off with the variable pressure associated with writing. If it stays on permanently there is too much pressure being applied, if it stays off permanently too little pressure is being applied.
If your child does have this kind of problem usually associated with dyspraxia, sensory processing disorder and fine motor skill challenges then I would also recommend you undertake the Speed up! programme by Lois Addy – it’s easy enough to do it yourself. It takes just 8 weeks to complete, taking between 40mins to 1 hour per day, so perfect for the summer holidays coming up. It’s a fun programme that believe it or not avoids too much writing! The Speed Up! Programme is for ages 8-13. Younger children struggling with handwriting could try the ‘Write from the start’ handwriting programme available in book format in the shop.
What we think: This pen is absolutely brilliant and just what we were looking for when we started the Speed Up! handwriting programme. It would be ideal for beginner handwriters too. We looked at other options, the cheap pens with the light up bulbs, but they were frankly rubbish, you had to press really hard and you couldn’t see the light in daylight. So if you want to do the job well, we’ve found the best, you can continue to get value from it by using it as a quality regular handwriting pen afterwards.
We’ve also put a value pack combination together to include the pen and the Lois Addy Speed Up! book.
Replacement ink cartridges are available in blue or black ink.